These Chicken and Veggie Nuggets are a great easy meal for kids and it’s almost certain you’ll have an empty plate at the end. I usually have a stash of these in the freezer that I can pop in the oven if I need a quick dinner and I know that there’s going to be extra veggies sneaking in.
When it comes to what you crumb these in there’s a few options, you can go for the usual sourdough breadcrumbs (I like to save the ends off our sourdough loafs and pulse them in the food processor). You can also use almond meal if you would like a gluten and grain free option and quinoa flakes work quite well if you’re after a gluten, grain and nut free option.
When it comes to the veggies you can also do a bit of pick ‘n’ mix and grab whatever you have in the fridge, as long as it can be grated it can go in – think pumpkin, sweet potato, broccoli stems or cauliflower.
I always serve these with some baked sweet potato chips which are always a massive hit in our household and boosts the veggie content of the meal even more.
- 2 free range/organic chicken breasts
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini (courgette), grated
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs OR almond meal OR quinoa flakes*
- Preheat oven to 200C (390F)
- Place all ingredients except bread crumbs into a food processor or high speed blender and blend until well combined and meat has been minced.
- Roll into nugget shapes and coat in your chosen crumb mixture. Nuggets may be placed in a sealed container and frozen at this point.
- Place nuggets onto a lined baking tray and bake in oven for 20 minutes, or until golden. If cooking from frozen cook for 30 minutes.
- *Choose almond meal or quinoa flakes if you need a gluten free option