Often one of the biggest things that mamas struggle with is getting their kids to eat veggies. It can sometimes seem like a constant up-hill battle and I know that sometimes in our house that more of them end up being flung around the room than actually end up being eaten.
I’m always looking for ways to get extra veggies in, I try and incorporate them into almost every meal when I’m making food for Miss 1. Whilst I do sneak them into a lot of food I’m always still offering her whole veggies, whether they are raw, lightly steamed or roasted to ensure she is also being exposed to them in their whole form. This way if she doesn’t eat too many of them I know some have still gone down in her other foods.
This Gluten Free Veggie Slice for Toddlers is one of her favourites at the moment. It’s so easy to make and one batch means I’ve got lunches (or dinner) sorted for the week. I’ve used besan flour for this slice which is ground up chickpeas, not only does this boost the fibre content but also provides a healthy dose of vegetable based protein, which is essentially for their growing bodies. Best of all it is also gluten free so it’s great if your family follows a gluten free lifestyle. You can find besan flour in most health food stores and indian grocers.
I like to serve this with some roasted sweet potato and pumpkin on the side, some cherry tomatoes and cucumber would also work well if you’re sending this recipe in the lunchbox.
Easy peasy and packed full of veggies! Enjoy!
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 100g leg ham (optional),
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1/2 cup besan flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs olive or macadamia oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a slice tin with baking paper.
- Place zucchini, carrot and cheese in a large bowl. Finely slice ham and add to bowl.
- In a jug place eggs, oil, flour and baking powder and whisk until combined.
- Pour jug mixture into bowl mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour into slice tin and press out with a spoon until even.
- Bake for 30 minutes. The top should have turned golden.
- Allow to cool and slice into desired size. Can be frozen if needed.
- Can be frozen for up to 3 months.