I’m really excited to start sharing some more of my favourite dinner meals with you all. This week it’s my Healthy Homemade Curried Sausages, a meal that I’m sure most of us grew up with or are at least familiar with. I love this meal because it’s quick and easy, I usually have all the ingredients stocked in my pantry and freezer already and it’s always a hit with everyone.
You can use either fresh or frozen vegetables in this recipe, I always have a supply of mixed frozen vegetables in the freezer for adding to meals if they need it or if I’m out of fresh vegetables. As always just make sure you always buy the best quality that your budget allows for. This also goes for the type of sausages you use. I know it’s often tempting to buy those big bulk packs from the supermarket when you’re on a budget but there’s not really any quality meat in those, check out the ingredients list and you’ll notice it’s jam packed full of preservatives, additives and more numbers than you can poke a stick at. This is not what you want to be feeding your family. Find a great butcher in your town and buy your sausages from them, they will still be a budget option but you’ll be getting much higher quality meat from your butcher than you will with any mass produced supermarket sausages.
This meal is gluten free and dairy free, making it intolerance friendly and you can use whatever veggies you have on hand, whether it be fresh or frozen. This one also freezes well so any leftovers can be saved for when you don’t have time to cook.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 8 good-quality thick sausages
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup stock (beef, chicken or vegetable all work well)
- 2 cups of chopped vegetables (fresh or frozen)
- 100g baby spinach (or 2 cubes of frozen spinach)
- 3/4 cup of cream OR coconut cream
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large, deep casserole pan over medium-high heat. Brown sausages for approximately 5 minutes, until they are golden in colour. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining oil. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, garam masala and cumin to pan and mix with fry with oil to create a paste (add a little more oil if necessary).
- Add potatoes and stir to coat in spice paste. Add tomato paste and cook for a further minute. Add stock and mix well.
- Slice the sausages into chunks and add return them to the pan. Add chopped vegetables and spinach. Cook for 15-20 minutes, covered, until vegetables and sausages are cooked.
- Stir through cream or coconut cream and serve. Can be served on it’s own or with rice, mash or extra steamed vegetables.