As a child I would spend most summer school holidays at a little caravan park by the beach. Each morning the milkman would drive around in his van, his horn made a little ‘moo’ sound to let you know that he was coming around. We would often jump out of bed and run out to meet him and always get a flavoured milk for with our breakfast. The pressing question of each morning was whether you would get chocolate or strawberry.
The sad truth however is that most commercial flavoured milks are packed with sugars and artificial flavours, making them not a very healthy choice for most children. Add to this that there are quite a lot of families these days that omit dairy from their diets for a multitude of reasons and need to source milk alternatives.
I recently gave making my own flavoured almond milk a try and found it was quite a quick and easy process. A lot of supermarket milk alternatives, including almond milks, are filled out with vegetable oils and emulsifiers to make them shelf-stable. Whilst it’s ok to consume these sometimes it is good to be mindful of the fact that if you are consuming a lot of pre-made milk alternatives you are also consuming a lot of vegetable oils and gums along with them which are not so conducive to your health.
These flavoured almond milks are the perfect substitute for dairy flavoured milk, with 3 flavours including honey & cinnamon, strawberry and chocolate. They are all naturally sweetened and are the perfect summer-time treat.
- 1 cup almonds
- 3 cups filtered water
- 2 whole strawberries, hulled
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cacao
- Soak almonds in water over night
- Strain almonds and place in blender along with 3 cups of water
- Blend on high speed for 1 minute
- Strain mixture into a jug through a fine sieve or use a nut milk bag
- Take 1 cup of almond milk and blend with strawberries and coconut sugar until well combined.
- Take 1 cup of almond milk and blend honey and cinnamon until well combined.
- Take 1 cup of almond milk and blend maple syrup and cacao until well combined.