This Pumpkin Pesto Pasta is one of my old favourites, it’s a dish that I used to cook with my old housemates that I lived with before I moved in with the husband (then boyfriend). Back then we were all working part-time, some of us were studying and we were all on a tight budget. Creating delicious and healthy budget-friendly meals were something we were always experimenting with and that’s how the recipe for this pasta was born.
It’s quite a versatile recipe and can be easily adapted to suit your dietary requirements. If you’re gluten free simply choose your favourite gluten free pasta (I personally love the brown rice pasta from Aldi). If you’re dairy free try a dairy free pesto recipe, there are plenty of them online and swap the feta for olives.
The pesto I’ve used in this pasta is also great as a dip or spread on sourdough and topped with tomatoes and feta – yum!
This recipe is also toddler-approved, Millie absolutely loves it so it’s a great meal to make for the whole family. If you’re after more family friendly dinners check out my Healthy Homemade Curried Sausages, Roast Tomato, Thyme and Feta Quiche and Lemon and Thyme Chicken Drumsticks.
- 1/4 cup macadamias (cashews also work well)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup firmly packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 500g butternut pumpkin, cut into 1cm cubes
- 100g semi-dried tomatoes
- 400g pasta of your choice
- 100g feta
- Place the macadamias in a food processor or blender and pulse until roughly chopped. Remove and place aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add nuts and process until just combined. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Place pasta in a pot of boiling salted water and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add pumpkin and sauté for 5 mins, stirring regularly. Cover and continue to cook for another 5 mins or until pumpkin has softened.
- Add tomatoes and pasta to pan and pour over pesto and toss until pasta is evenly coated.
- Crumble over feta and serve.