We’ve returned from our little family holiday this week, it’s back to the daily grind for us and I’ve already been busy in the kitchen. First item to go in the oven was this Spiced Pumpkin and Date Loaf. I had been playing around with this recipe before we left on our holiday and had baked it as mini muffins for my daughter to have as a snack while we were away and if babies could give a thumbs up I have no doubt these would have received two from her tiny little hands. I did manage to sneak a few myself and couldn’t help thinking they would make a fabulous loaf made even more delicious smothered with butter and a cup of tea so it was the first thing I whipped up when we arrived home and mini and myself devoured some for morning tea today.
I was right. It did make a delicious loaf.
Packed full of pumpkin and sweetened by fresh dates and warm spices, it’s the perfect healthy snack for mamas and tiny little hands (I like to cut it up into fingers to make it a bit more manageable for the littles ones).
- 1 cup butternut pumpkin
- 5 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pepitas, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Place pumpkin in a steamer and steam until soft and cooked through
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper
- Place cooked pumpkin, dates, eggs and coconut oil into a food processor and blend until a paste forms
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices into a bowl
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour and gently mix until combined
- Place mixture into loaf tin and sprinkle with pepitas
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean