This week I’m sharing with you the recipe for my Toddler-Approved Roasted Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce. It’s the one thing I always have stashed away in the freezer for those times when I’m a little unprepared and don’t have anything handy for feeding the kids.
This Toddler-Approved Roasted Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce makes for such a quick and easy meal, I mostly use it when something unexpected comes up and I haven’t had a chance to cook dinner on time or when the hubby and I might be having a not-so-toddler-friendly meal. I really try to make an effort to only cook up one meal for the entire family most days but given that we buy our meat from my parent’s farm, it comes as half a cow at a time, meaning that we do get some cuts of meat that aren’t so ‘family-friendly’, like big juicy t-bone’s (the hubby’s favourite). On those nights I know that I can grab some of this Toddler-Approved Roasted Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce out of the freezer and have a nutritious dinner ready with minimal effort.
The tomatoes in this sauce have been roasted, along with some carrots, to really bring out their sweetness and eliminate the need for any added sugar in the sauce, something that you will find is added to most store-bought pasta sauce. Once I’ve made the sauce I simply freeze it in individual portions using my old baby food containers from when the kid’s were starting solids. This way it’s already portioned out and ready to add to a meal.
Some of the ways my kids enjoy using this sauce include:
- Just poured over plain pasta and frozen mix veg (all cooked in the same water to save time) with some grated cheese on top
- Over the top of some mini-meatballs (something else that I always freeze leftovers for emergency meals). Served up with some chopped vegetables (raw or cooked).
- Mix some ricotta through the heated sauce for a ‘creamy’ version (also adds protein into the meal at the same time)
- Makes a delicious base sauce on homemade pizzas
- 1kg tomatoes, halved
- 3 carrots, quartered
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic (see notes if you prefer to use minced garlic)
- 1/3 cup basil leaves
- salt & pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place tomatoes and carrots onto a lined baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Place into the oven for 20 minutes, adding the garlic cloves to the tray for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove when tomatoes and carrots are tender (some ovens may take a little longer, just keeping checking).
- Leave for 10 minutes to cool slightly then place the tomatoes, carrots, garlic and basil into a blender (you may add a pinch of salt and pepper now if you would like). Blend until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Allow to cool to room temperature then portion out and freeze.
- If using minced garlic then skip adding garlic during the roasting process and simply add it to the blender before pureeing.